Saturday, October 31, 2009

Halloween Homage

Last night was the time to make good on all the smack talk I've been serving my siblings about the pumpkin carving contest. Nathan was gone for the night at a leadership retreat so lil' sis Kaylee came over for a sleepover. I bet it was a thrill to come over to our basement where the upstairs neighbors were throwing a boozin' Halloween party and where everyone was all crowded around our back door entrance smoking and carrying on. Won't see that at the dorms!

Two hand-picked pumpkins and SYTYCD on for artistic inspiration in the background? Check.

We scoooped and scraped guts.


We applied patterns.


We shaded the pumpkins! Well, I did. See that judge? Avante-garde techniques!


We carved...


and carved ...

And finally had our finished products!


So proud! She worked those tiny, intricate details!



And now, our shout-outs to some of the greatest artists of all time...

THIS IS IT.


Just Mona Lisa smiling to wish you a happy Halloween? Or is she? Nobody knows.


So there you have it. Our pumpkin carving contest contenders.
May the best gourd win.

4 comments:

  1. I just realized Michael is supposed to be holding a microphone in his right hand. How many hours was I staring at that image and did not pick up on what all those tiny intricate details were?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pumpkin's lighting kicks our pumpkin's lighting booty. I'll give you that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whoa. Where did you find that Michael Jackson action? Clearly either Pumpkin Masters has put out a new line of patterns or there's a whole world of pumpkin patterns out there that we haven't tapped into yet. We went to about a million Halloween activities last week, so our pumpkin carving slipped through the cracks. (See my comment on Bekka's blog). We usually do it as an FHE activity, but I was afraid it would get mushy before the big night.

    P.S. Kira, where did you get that rockin' housewife apron? I respect that. I bet your food comes out tasting especially home-cooked delicious because of the vibe from your apron.

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow! Those are awesome! You guys are intense when it comes to pumpkin carving. Great Work!

    ReplyDelete